Best Friend

Precursor:  I am not pregnant.  Now you may read on.

Last night I was venting to Luke about life when I brought up that in some ways, I'm afraid to have kids because I always thought I'd have that best friend that would have kids at the same time as me and we'd raise them together.

I have good friends, but real life has set in.  I'm busy.  My friends are busy.  A lot of my closest friends are far away, or have plans to move far away.  I'm afraid of not having the support of that friend who will help me.  The one who will tell me I'm a good mom, even on my worst days.  The one who will babysit when I just need a nap.  The one who I'll give hand-me-downs to, or she'll pass them on to me.  The one who will start a mommy group with me when we need social lives. 

This morning I remembered that I do have a best friend that will raise my kids with me...and he was the one I was venting to.  We're in this life together, kids or no kids.  And though I do crave that female support, it's comforting to know my husband is there for me.  Sometimes I forget that he'll back me up no matter what.  He has known me through the ugly years, the angry years, the good days and the bad, and here's the kicker--he married me!  Sometimes I can not belive my good fortune. 

I love you, sweetheart!  You'll always be my best friend.


Luke and I in 2003

posted under |

4 comments:

MommyH said...

Aww. Kate. Tear. You have it exactly right. I can't imagine parenting without my bff...Nate. And it has its hard moments, but truly it's a blast. Imagining doing it without him gives a whole new appreciation to single moms. Looking forward to little Kates sometime in the future :) Love you Katie Lynn!

ps...LOVE the new blog look!

Unknown said...

I totally agree, doing this with your best friend is the way that parenting can bring you together. It's a journey.

(:

Brent and Holly said...

There has been a lot of talk about kids from you....does this mean it could be soon?:)
Having a baby is the hardest thing we have ever done, but also the best. Like today I had to deal with poop everywhere! TMI, I know, but as I was cleaning it off the wall I looked back at Sophia and she smiled at me and I couldn't help but laugh. Today has been difficult, but I know that at 4:00 Brent will be here and I will get that much needed break. I don't know what I would do without him. I'm sure Luke will be that same support you will need when the times get tough.

amanda said...

Kate! I've finally had some down time to catch up on your writing. I love this one. You put words in my every scattering thoughts! Don't worry, perhaps Scott and I will soon move to the cities and our kids can hang out. :) Our kids will need some beautiful, creative kids to hang out with - for sure! :) Love you dearly and can't wait to see you soon.

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments