Why We Say Yes

I have two coworkers--let's call them Joe and Ann. Joe and Ann do not get along. Ann is a self-medicating (legal and otherwise) post-gambling addict who tries to do as little as possible while criticizing management for expecting too much from her. Joe is a college student trying to get out of this department ASAP (my sympathies are with him on that one). Joe and Ann have had plenty of arguments in the past when they've worked on projects together because Joe works and Ann does not.

Today, Joe was in the mailroom with me, while Ann was who-knows-where avoiding work. Ann gets on the radio, calls Joe, and asks him to do her morning work for her because she is "busy." No explanation needed. Busy has always meant "outside smoking (legal or otherwise)."

Joe and I roll our eyes at each other. "Tell her to suck it up and do her job," I say.

Joe mimicks Ann's voice, "Joe, could you do my work for me because I'm a worthless human being?"

But, here's the thing.

Joe says yes. He agrees to do Ann's work, and Ann gets the morning off, though she's being paid more than both Joe and I.

Why? Why on this planet (Ann has asked me if we are on the planet...she is not bright) would you agree to do the work of someone who simply wants to smoke longer when you don't even like this person? He's not trying to impress her, or me, since I don't like her either. He had other things to do. If anything, he should want to make more work for her. He had no motivation to do it. I am so confused, and even though it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things, I really want to know why we say yes when we really mean no.

posted under |

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments