Finish or Frog

I am in the process of finishing or frogging all knitting WIP's (works in progress). I need a clean, blank slate to begin some new designs.

For my non-knitting friends, "frogging" means to undo the project, to rip all the yarn back. It's called frogging because you "rip it rip it rip it." Say this aloud if you're still having trouble figuring out why that's kinda funny. Not really funny, but kinda.

My dilemma is that I never frog. Ever. I always finish things, even when I know they won't work, won't fit, but be fugly, crappy, worthless junk that I will give to the thrift store. I just like to finish things. Here are my current WIP's:

1. Luke's Adult Tomten sweater. This one will be finished (eventually) but was put on hold for two reasons: a) I thought it was too small (it's not) and b) I needed another color of yarn, but hadn't ordered any (I remedied that. the yarn is on its way). In last year's Christmas card picture, I had knitted both the sweaters that Luke and I are wearing. I'm hoping I can do the same this year--that would be kind of a fun tradition, right? Or crazy? maybe.


2. Cami's blanket: So, at the time I was making my list of WIP's this was a WIP, but now it's finished (praise the LORD!). This was one of the hardest knits I've ever done because of all the color work. It as the first time I tried intarsia, and I have to say, we hate each other. Intarsia wants to kill me, and frankly, I might let it if I have to have another go with it. It was awful. But this blanket is GORGEOUS (see, Violet thinks so too) and I'm glad I finished it.

3. Gathered Pullover: I finished this, but barely. It is majorly ill-fitting. I loved knitting it, but I have to say that I hate the finished product. I'm currently looking for someone I know and need a gift for that this will fit. It is too big for me. :( I hate when knits don't fit. Especially when I swatch. (stupid lying swatches. I'm better off not swatching at all).

4. Secret Garden Socks: I designed these and am just finishing up the toe (just kitchener left!). I really like them. The top of them is more "business" looking, but then the instep is all leafy and pretty. You could hide those leaves in a shoe, or wear it with some mary Janes to show off the knitting. I like it. And this yarn is AMAZING! (It's part bamboo).
5. Aflame: I designed these too, and they are actually done now, but when I wrote my list, they were in progress. I LOVE this pattern (sounds kinda egotistical, since I made the pattern), but I just love how they turn out. It's easy to memorize, too, which never hurts. I plan on writing it up soon, but I've been lazy on that front.

In the frog pond are: a pair of socks I never liked, but kept knitting for no apparent reason. I have everything about them--the yarn is scratchy, the pattern sucks, the colors are awful. I'm so glad those socks are gone. Also, a child's sweater that I was making in a nasty acrylic. I'm not sure what ever prompted me to use that yarn, but I did, and it was bad. I plan on frogging that sweater as soon as I can find where I hid it (to hide my shame).

Soon I will be casting on exciting new projects (though in all honesty, I already did cast on another sweater for me and am about a third done...), and using exciting new yarn. Man am I dorky.




posted under |

2 comments:

Barb Nelson said...

Sounds like you did a fabulous job on your WIPs. I got 4 or my 6 done before I cast on something new. Sometimes you just HAVE to start something new. (And I had some pretty new yarn just begging to be used!)

MommyH said...

geezy peezy kate! are you the most creative person ever or what? i'm enjoying the pics of the paintings....someday when we have extra money (ever?) i want to commission you to paint me some things for our home :) can't wait to see you. love you kate.

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments